Apple turnovers may be a breakfast favorite, but these feta and chive turnovers will be the newest dinner favorite! By using puff pastry, these turnovers are fluffy and flaky, hugs of delicious cheese and herb flavors.
Lemon and chives break up the delicious warm feta. These are best served warm within minutes of coming out of the oven, though they could be prepared (just not cooked) in advance.
- 2 oz crumbled garlic-and-herb feta cheese
- 2 tbsp thinly sliced fresh chives
- 2 medium green onions, sliced
- ½ tsp grated lemon peel
- Flour for dusting
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry (from 17.3-oz package), thawed
- Heat oven to 400°F. In medium bowl, mash cheese with fork. Stir in chives, onions and lemon peel until well mixed.
- On lightly floured surface, unfold pastry sheet; sprinkle lightly with flour. Roll pastry into 12-inch square. Cut pastry into 4 rows by 4 rows to make 16 squares.
- Spoon cheese mixture onto center of each square (about 1 rounded teaspoon each).
- Moisten edges of 1 square with fingertip dipped in water. Fold square over filling to form a triangle, gently pressing to remove air pockets around filling and pressing edges of pastry together.
- Use tines of fork to crimp and seal edges of turnover. Repeat with remaining squares. Using spatula, make edges of turnovers even if necessary; place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until puffed and golden all over. Remove from cookie sheet to cooling rack; cool 2 to 3 minutes before serving.