We’ve used dill below, but truthfully this simple recipe is a great way to use up most leftover herbs – especially parsley and rosemary! Keep it in the fridge, then slice off a piece as needed for your cooking.
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill (or more, for taste)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Spoon the butter onto a large piece of parchment paper. Fold the parchment over the butter and roll the butter back and forth until you have a smooth cylinder shape. (Tip: If your butter is very soft and you are having difficulty rolling it into shape, place the butter in the refrigerator for a short time to firm the butter up just a bit.)
- Twist the ends of the parchment paper on each side.
- Place the butter in the refrigerator until firm.
- Once the butter is firm, slice into ½ inch slices and serve. Slices may be put into tightly sealed plastic bags and stored in the freezer for up to 1 month.