A hearty, homemade tomato sauce is a timeless classic, ready to complete any pasta dish. Save that trip to the grocery store when you make your own jar. Finish with fresh oregano to make your next pasta dish restaurant-worthy.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¾ cup chopped white onion (about ½ medium onion)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ½ tbsp tomato paste
- ¼ cup red wine, optional
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
- 15 ounces diced tomato
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup chopped fresh oregano
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add garlic and cook for one minute, making sure not to brown. Add onions and cook for five to ten minutes, or until translucent.
- If using wine, add wine and reduce down for 1 minute.
- Stir in tomato paste, dried basil and oregano, and salt and pepper for taste.
- Add diced tomato and red pepper flakes (if using).
- Slowly stir in vegetable stock. Reduce heat to a simmer and allow to cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons butter or vegan butter, then add the chopped fresh oregano and season with more salt and pepper.
- Allow to simmer for a few minutes, then remove from heat.