A bowl of steamed rice and Thai Fried Eggplant with Basil can be your ultimate comfort food when you want to cook something in a jiffy. It’s simple and so very refreshing. Eggplant cooked to the right consistency, the flavors of garlic, sauce and a handful of fresh Thai Basil is what makes this simple and yet so flavorful.
As always, fresh homegrown herbs makes any food pop, and that’s true in this case too.
If you’d like to grow your own fresh herbs, get your easy-maintenance gardening kit with a selection of Exotic Basils. Cook up a storm and make something awesome every day!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
For the Sauce
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce or vegan fish sauce
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
½ cup warm water
3 tablespoons vegetable oil or mildly flavored oil, divided
3 medium size Chinese eggplants, with skin (Yields 3 and ½ cups when cut)
2 Thai red chilies, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped (Yields ¾ cups)
1 handful Thai Basil Leaves, roughly chopped
Salt to taste
Towards The End
2 teaspoons cornstarch with 4 tablespoons of cold water
- Combine the sauce in a bowl and keep it on the side.
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil in a hot wok and add eggplant. Let it cook on medium-high heat until the flesh is tender. You can sprinkle water if the eggplant sticks to the wok.
- Remove the eggplant to a bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil in the same wok and add garlic and chopped Thai red chilies. Saute for few seconds and add onions and cook until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Now add the cooked eggplant and mix. Add the sauce and let it simmer. Sprinkle the roughly chopped Thai Basil Leaves and mix again.
- Finally, add the cornstarch mixture and let it simmer for a minute till the sauce thickens.
- Taste and adjust salt as needed.
- Garnish with some finely chopped basil leaves and serve with steamed rice.
Of course if taste and maximum flavor are important to you, then you’re going to need fresh basil! The smell and aroma of freshly picked basil is unmatched by store-bought options. You will find Thai Basil in both our ‘Exotic Basil’ bottle garden kit as well as the ‘Basil Seed Collection’ below.