It’s a breeze to put together and the filling can be made up to a day or two in advance. Just keep the filling sealed in an air-tight container in the refrigerator, and then assemble the pies as normal when you’re ready to bake.
You can also easily turn this a vegan appetizer by using shortening in your homemade pie crust, and brushing the pies with almond milk instead of egg.
This recipe is sure to be a crowd pleaser, so let these flavorful and flaky pies keep you warm and cozy at your next holiday gathering!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
Yields: 8, 3-inch Hand Pies
For the Filling:
1/2 cup carrot, diced
1/2 cup cauliflower, separated into 1/2 inch florets
1/2 cup potato, diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 cup onions, finely chopped
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon cumin powder, allspice mix or curry powder
1 teaspoon salt or to taste
1/2 teaspoon pepper powder
1/4 cup sweet basil leaves, finely chopped
For the Pie:
9-inch pie crust (homemade or store-bought) or puff pastry sheet
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup black or white sesame seeds
To prepare the Filling:
- Place carrots, cauliflower, and potatoes in a vegetable steamer insert and cook for about 8 minutes. Alternately, you can also microwave till the vegetables are tender.
- Add oil to a skillet and place on medium heat. Add garlic and once that cooks, add onions and cook till translucent. Now add paprika and curry powder and saute for about 30 seconds. Add the steamed veggies and saute till the mixture is dry. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer it to a shallow bowl and let the mixture cool completely. Once it cools, add the finely chopped sweet basil leaves and mix well. Taste and adjust salt as needed.
To finish the Pie:
- Preheat the oven to 425 Degrees Fahrenheit.
- Roll a pie or pastry sheet to 1/8th-inch thickness.
- Cut into desired shape, a circle or square, about 3-inches.
- Place one spoonful mixture in the center of the rolled dough. Place another circle on top and seal the edges with fork.
- Transfer it to a baking sheet and brush with egg wash and sprinkle some sesame seeds. You can also use both white and black seeds.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or till the top is golden brown.
- Serve Warm!
1. Make ahead instructions: Prepare the filling 1-2 days in advance, and store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. Assemble the pies as normal when you’re ready to bake.
2. To make vegan: Using shortening in your homemade pie crust, and brush the pies with almond milk instead of egg.