Perhaps the world’s most famous Mediterranean salad, and fresh herbs make all the difference here. Also go easy on the bulgur – it’s much easier to add more than take it out, and you don’t want it overpowering all the other delicious flavors.
- 1/2 cup extra fine bulgur wheat or quinoa
- 4 firm tomatoes
- 2 bunches parsley, most stems removed
- 12–15 fresh mint leaves, stems removed
- 4 green onions, white and green parts
- 3–4 tbsp lime or lemon juice
- 3–4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Wash the bulgur wheat and soak it in water for 5-7 minute. Drain very well (squeeze the bulgur wheat by hand to get rid of any excess water). Set aside.
- Very finely chop the vegetables, herbs and green onions. Be sure to place the tomatoes in a colander to drain excess juice.
- Gently mix the bulgur, chopped vegetables, herbs and green onions in a mixing bowl. Season with salt.
- Add the lime juice and olive oil and mix again.
- For best results, cover the tabouli and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter.