Bring back the summertime with a refreshing mango dessert! This recipe combines a classic comfort food with exotic flavors for a sweet treat that’s enjoyable anytime of the year.
- 4 cups whole milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup arborio rice
- ¾ cup coconut sugar, divided
- 1 14-ounce can unsweetened lite coconut milk
- 1/4 cup Thai basil leaves
- 3 whole mangoes peeled and sliced into cubes
- In a large saucepan, combine the milk, water, arborio rice, and ½ cup of coconut sugar. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes until the mixture is thick and creamy. Stir the pot often and scrape down the sides and bottom.
- While the rice cooks, add the can of coconut milk and the remaining ¼ cup coconut sugar to a small saucepan. Heat over medium-low until the sugar has dissolved. Be careful not to boil the mixture. Remove from heat and stir in the Thai basil leaves. Place a lid on top and let the basil steep in the milk for 10 minutes. Strain out and discard the leaves, reserving the infused milk.
- Once the rice mixture is thick and creamy, pour the infused milk into the rice mixture.
- Heat on low and stir until the mixture is thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve warm, topping with mango. You can also chill the rice pudding for 6 hours before serving it cold, if desired.