A hearty winter side dish that if cooked properly, tastes not just delicious but can be border line addictive. The secret is in getting the consistency right and adding just the right amount of crunch.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or “no-chicken” broth (for vegan version)
- 1½ teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add shallots and Brussels sprouts and cook, stirring often, until the shallots are starting to brown and the Brussels sprouts are browned in spots, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in broth, thyme, salt and pepper; cover and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cook until the Brussels sprouts are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.